Tuesday, March 29, 2011

No Sugar/Flour

Last week I decided to cut out all sugar, flour and major starches and did so successfully. It was a dedicated week. I did this with my last two pregnancies, but this was the first time to do this diet when I'm not preggo! :) This diet made me realize how much we're addicted to bread, pasta and sugar! Hahaha! Everything seems a little harder to make that the convenient "normal" things we eat, not to mention the grocery trip at Central Market so that I'm not as tempted to cheat... So, I did great! I am glad that I prepared well for it before hand, though, because I was planning to do the same diet the week before and failed because we didn't get to the store for me to do it, so last week it was. :) I started out thinking "what will I eat?". I quickly remembered several meals that I loved when I was preggo, and jotted them down. It went well, and I did lose 2 pounds, so I guess that was the goal, not to mention I felt better this week as well! ;)

One thing I used to get me through was Agave Nectar, and I'm hearing/reading some controversial info on it! If anyone has any info good and bad, I'd love to know! Thanks! Just trying to use it in moderation right now, but I definitely want to be healthy and if it's not that, then I don't want it! ;) Anyway, I thought I'd post a few pics of some of my yummy meals! :)

Plain Yogurt with vanilla extract, agave nectar and sliced apples



Cottage Cheese with fresh sliced pears


Lentil and Sausage Soup with carrots, celery and onion


Fajita Salad with marinated fajita meat from our butcher


Spinach Noodles with meatsauce


Quinoa with tuna, olives, olive oil and green onions



Homemade Frozen Vanilla Yogurt with almonds and dried cherries


Also, wanted to show the little specials that the hubby and I picked up at my first trip to Anthropologie for my sister's bday! She had been wanting me to get there for forever, and when I walked in I was amazed. :) I decided to get something practical, that way I wasn't getting something that would just clutter my house, but something that I can use and actually needed.
So, here are the pics of my new measuring cups and spoons!





And now, last but NOT least, some pics of the crew. ;)








"Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!"
Psalm 34:8

Thankful for
1. My sister doing the diet with me this time, from 1 1/2 away, but together all the same. ;)
2. Encouraging friends and family (including the kids) for this diet
3. Bible time with the family at night before bed.
4. First words, teeth, cruising... spelling words :)
5. Hearing my two year old say "Thank you Mommy" and then getting to teach him "Thank you God"! :)

3 comments:

amanda said...

Maia, these look great! Congrats on your weight loss . . . and more importantly for restoring health. Are you trying to reach a certain goal or just doing this for a little while?

I've never tried quinoa--can't find it here. I'll have to attempt to find some when we're in the States this summer.

Cottage Cheese is something else I've never really tried. I can get it here, but we have to special order it, and it isn't cheap. So, it's hard for me to justify trying it out.

FordeFam said...

I love quinoa!!! :) You'll def have to find it this summer! I have been eating Cottage Cheese since I can remember, so that's so funny to me! :) I don't think I would be paying extra to have it shipped to me though! ;) I've been meaning to make a few stir fry dishes, so maybe you have a few pointers there? :) Thanks for the encouragement! Two pounds doesn't seem like much, but it's a start. I'm not exactly sure how much I want to lose right now, but I think my first goal is 20 lbs and then I'll take it from there? :)

Hope said...

Wow, good for you! All those recipes look yummy!!!!