Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Adventures in... socks?

Do you ever get in the mood to create? I get in these moods often. I think it's something that I feel that I have some sort of control over, since everything else seems to be out of my hands. :) Sometimes it crochet, sometimes knitting, sometimes painting (rarely these days though), sometimes writing poetry and sometimes its blogging. The other day I was just wanting to get my hands busy with something beautiful! I was wishing I had practiced more at the piano or stuck with those moments of playing around with the guitar I had in junior high! I could just feel my fingers working together to make a beautiful composition of praise to the Lord... but, alas, the symphony cannot be found here (except for Pandora, YouTube or CD), so today I blog :) Not that it's all that beautiful, but I love words and what the release of them does to my days! There is nothing like sitting down to the computer and just letting it f l o w! ;) I write poetry and but don't share it often. I have always loved it. These days I've been on mission "knit a sock for the hubby"! :) I haven't done a lot of knitting in the past at all, and have made small strips of knitted-ness (that were nothing) with dropped stitches and all (which means HOLES)! :) Then I made myself a single knitted cotton wash cloth for the dishes. It was nice. But I have really busied myself with crochet! I LOVE crocheting, but there is really one thing that I have wanted to be able to make since I started 10 years ago that I can't crochet; socks! Crocheted socks are just not cute!!! :) So, this year, one of my New Year Resolutions has been to knit a sock, well, a pair of socks! :) I started out with all of the stuff: the 4 double sided needles, yarn! BUT it didn't last long... my yarn was too thick and my needles too small! So, after my first project was hurting my hands, I went to Google and "researched" what I needed and found a website that showed me what yarn I should get for what size of needles! I have so far made a "not a sock", a baby hat, and a doll baby cozy, all in efforts of making these socks, until today! :) I have, as of now, conquered one tube sock! Those are the socks that don't have heels. These are going to be for me, since the hubby wants socks with the heels and all, but I am one step closer and VERY excited! I will be starting on the other sock tomorrow. :) I know it probably seems so weird that this project has me so excited, but I am really proud of myself for learning how to knit on my own, and now teaching myself how to knit a sock through YouTube videos and online tutorials! I am so glad that God created us with the ability to create. I don't know why, but I always find a sense of calm when I'm working on a project like this, and I feel so accomplished when I can set a goal and achieve it. I am really looking forward to the days that the girls can join me and we can knit or crochet together. Both Zoe and Lenci have worked on crocheting, and they love it. They are both always begging me to work with them on it. :)
I cannot imagine what the Father was feeling when He made us. It was a much easier task for Him to speak us into being, yet it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to do, than it is for me to knit or crochet or paint... anything, but He looked at creation upon its completion at each step and declared it "good". :) I also love that the Bible uses knitting to describe the creation of the human body in a mother's womb.
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16
These passages bring a whole new meaning to my crocheting and knitting projects! I have prayed for the recipients of my creations before. It's very neat to know that with each stitch I can lift these people, created by the Lord Himself, up and intercede for them in my own prayers. I know that it really doesn't "bless" the item any more, but it really gives me a good excuse to pray for them. I'm looking forward to knitting my husband's socks! :) I will surely be praying for him as I knit each stitch. Believe it or not, I think he's looking forward to getting his very own socks knit by Yours Truly! :) I guess I'm going to be working at blessing his socks ON! ;)










So, here's the progression of working on the first finished sock that's the right size! Now on to the other... :) I think I'll just go strait to it, though the girls are most definitely wanting another dolly cozy! ;)

5 things:
1. a hubby happy to cook
2. snow days that keep daddy home from work :)
3. rearranging rooms and repurposing furniture
4. conversations with my hubby over dishes
5. completing tasks and marking things off of my to do list

3 comments:

alicia kristine said...

LOVE the knitting!!! great job! can't wait to see what else you come up with... and yes, what a beautiful thing to be able to create!! if nothing else in one day we create moments with these little ones;)

Simply Greener Things said...

Very fun! Such a neat progress :)! It'll all be SO neat knitting Lee's sock while you're wearing yours ;)!

FordeFam said...

Agreed Alicia! :) Thanks!

And, I have been knitting his socks with mine on! ;) It's soooo nice and inspiring!