Thursday, January 7, 2016

Super Easy Real Potato Soup

This is a recipe that I usually do from memory. I learned how to make this in our first year of marriage, when cooking was still an enigma to me. :) I love this recipe because I'm an extremely minimalist cook. I like to use as few ingredients as possible. This recipe really is minimal. When I was looking for a recipe for potato soup as a young bride, I found recipe upon recipe that called for packets of spices that I didn't regularly buy and didn't really want to include in our pantry. This is my tweaked version from a family friend from way back when. Making this brings back memories of when peeling and chopping potatoes and onions with my husband was romantic! ;)  Let me know if you try this recipe and any way you tweak it yourself. I'll try to attach a picture of ours at some point, but until then, here's this! :D Bon appetit!

Super Easy Real Potato Soup

6-8 medium potatoes chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cups cheese
2-4 Tbsp butter
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste 
Garlic powder optional
Sour cream, cheese, chives and bacon for toppings

Cover chopped potatoes and onions with water and boil until they're soft but not mushy, usually about 20 minutes.
Drain half the water. Add milk and cook on medium. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn. Add in butter and cheese and stir. 
Add salt and pepper to taste (I think I do 1-2 T). Enjoy! 



No comments: